Action Link text is Exported to Excel

Posted on September 5, 2012 by Paul McGarrick
Filed Under Action Framework, Export, OBIEE 11g

On a recent customer project I came across an interesting scenario when trying to export a report to Excel. The report in question contained Action Links (invoking a Browser Script) and when exported, the Action Link text and associated hyperlink appeared as an extra row beneath each data cell.

After checking with Oracle Support it seems this is expected behaviour (!) and not a bug (although why anyone would want this is a mystery to me). See 1450819.1 for more detail.

I devised a workaround by creating a duplicate version of the report without Action Links. This duplicate is then exposed via a custom ‘Export’ hyperlink on the dashboard using a bit of JavaScript to invoke the standard OBIEE export function. The syntax was like this:

<a onclick=”NQWClearActiveMenu();Download(‘saw.dll?Go&amp;Action=Download&amp;ItemName=Example%20Report&amp;path=%2fshared%2fPath%2fto%2freport &amp;Format=mht&amp;Extension=.xls’);” href=”javascript:void(null);”>Export</a>

If you plan on using this then be sure to URL encode the path and filename correctly.

Hopefully this will help someone arriving here via a search engine.

Paul

Comments

2 Responses to “Action Link text is Exported to Excel”

  1. Julio on September 10th, 2012 6:08 pm

    Hello,
    I wonder if you can help me in the following situation: I have two answers that turn in two tables (total and detail), in Oracle BI 10g and would like to put a link in the table total so that when you click it’s open in a new tab the Detail table. I hear in Action Link, can you help me?
    Sorry my english. I hope you can help me.
    thanks

    Julio

  2. Semidoctul on December 27th, 2012 11:38 pm

    Hi Paul,
    Interesting blog entry. I checked the KM article and indeed they are saying it’s expected behavior.
    my issue is slightly more complicated. My customer isn’t bothered by the extra cell in the report. The problem is that the action link contains… gibberish once exported.
    I suspect this is because my action links are using a value in a different column as parameter to pass to an URL (specifically, a CRMOD environment with a Service Request ID). When clicking on the action link from within the analysis itself, it works fine. However, after exporting to Excel, it messes up completely: the URL behind the link is a very, VERY long row of mostly strange characters, and since it’s a lot longer than 255 characters, Excel yells it can’t open it.
    I wonder whether you have encountered this in the past, and if you did, how did you solve it?

    The real issue is that I have set up agents which send the analysis on a daily basis, and the customer checks that analysis and takes the appropriate measures. The workaround would be to save all the reports again with different names, without the action links, and let the customer copy/paste the values into the CRMOD environment. Manual work for them, awesomeness points deducted from me.
    What I would rather see happen is the export script save the actual URLs, whoch are fairly simple. It’s a static URL with a dynamic end, e.g. secure-ausomxxxx.crmondemand.com/srID=[ID] where [ID] is the parameter taken from a different column on the same row. I could do that with 5 rows of VBA, it’s amazing that the script can’t handle it.

Leave a Reply




Please fill in this CAPTCHA to prove you\'re a human: Time limit is exhausted. Please reload CAPTCHA.